Read 2 Timothy 2
Read verse 1
"You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."
Q. What is grace?
- Unmerited favour: You haven't done anything to receive the blessing
- God's Riches At Christ Expense
Q. Why is grace an important thing for us to understand?
- If we don't understand grace, we don't understand the gospel. We will be living in condemnation, guilt and shame.
- It can create pride, because we could think that it's just because of our actions that God blesses us.
- It's important to understand grace so we don't abuse it.
- Because we are saved by grace.
Read the last verse in the Bible: Revelations 22:21
"The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen."
- The Bible ends saying that the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ is all we need.
You are not saved because you think you are a 'good Christian'. You aren't saved because you don't smoke, you don't drink, you don't swear, you don't watch porn, you don't wear make-up, you don't go to clubs. It's not about things you do or don't do that makes you saved. This is where some Christians get judgemental and prideful, thinking they are better than everyone else. You can't earn salvation, you can only receive it through God's amazing grace. However this doesn't mean we can do whatever we want, we still should reflect Christ and do God's will.
Read 1 Peter 5:5
"In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,“God opposes the proud but shows favour to the humble.”
- If we don't see our weakness, we won't need the grace to make us strong. Humble yourself to know that you are sufficient with God and not without Him.
Unlike Timothy, Paul was a bold person. He was confident, academic and spoke articulately, but He humbled himself before God. He knows that when we boasts about his weaknesses, that God has the opportunity to work through Him.
Read 2 Corinthians 3:5
"Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God."
- It has nothing to do with us that we stand. We are able because of God.
Read 2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
Others may say we are weak, because we acknowledge that we are not enough. But when we are weak, we are made strong by the Lord, and when we think we are strong without God, we are in fact weak.
Q. How does the unmerited grace of God make you feel?
- at peace
Read 2 Timothy 2:2
"And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others."
Q. What is the good-news/the gospel?
- How God loved humanity, from the beginning to the end
- Humanity sinned, weakening the relationship we had with God. From that, God sent His son so we could be reconciled back to Him
- Accepting that Jesus died for our sins and resurrecting, and once we acknowledge and believe this, we receive salvation and eternal life
It's important to know the main doctrine of Christianity so we can share to others who don't know God. Sewing seeds is sewing the word. It's not a suggestion by God's command and mission.
2 Timothy 2:1 "You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."
We thank you for your amazing grace. We pray that you give us a desire and a willingness to want to build your kingdom and to share the gospel to others. We pray that for the humility we need to receive your grace, which is freely available to us, enabling us to carry out our missions.
In Jesus name we pray, Amen.