Reading from 2 Timothy 2: 3-7
"Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus"
Q. Is discipline a good or bad thing?
- It could be seen as both depending on the context
- Some undisciplined people go to prison, therefore discipline could be a form of behaviour correction
- Discipline could be seen as a good type of work ethic
Verb of discipline (e.g to punish)
Adjective of discipline (e.g type of character)
Q. What is a disciplined person like?
- Someone who has been trained to a certain standard
- Having self control and consistent in practice
- Having a restrained form of behaviour
- Making the sacrifice; delaying gratification for the end goal
- Patient while enduring hardship
Q. What is the hardship associated with discipline?
- Saying 'no' to your flesh which is often can be difficult
The bible uses a solider as an example of a disciplined person. Read v4
"No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.
- A solider will endure tough and uncomfortable times where they have to keep focused on the task
- The also must follow orders while respecting authority
- This is applicable to the Christian walk, having to be obedient to God even when we are battling with the temptations of the flesh
Without the grace of God, we cannot be disciplined on our own - keep your eyes on the prize!
- Remembering the reason why you are being disciplined will help you sustain
"Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules."
- Ensure you are running in your lane and not somebody else'
- Follow the rules because cheating equals lack of faith - trying to do things in your own power instead of trusting in God's
Sometimes it feels like those who don't follow the rules prosper...but they are actually missing out on their destiny.
Luke 8:17 - "There is nothing hidden that won't be revealed, and there is nothing secret that won't become known and come to light."
"The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops.
Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this"
Q. How is a farmer patient?
- A farmer needs to patient to reap the harvest from their crops
- They must be consistent and disciplined to do their job
- Farmers should also be the first to receive their harvest
Memory Verse: 2 Timothy 2:6 "The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops.
Heavenly Father, thank you for our training in building our spiritual muscles. Thank you for giving us the ability to obey and to submit to your word and will. Help us to be patient and wait on your timing and to resist temptations of the flesh. Help us to keep our eyes on the prize which is winning souls, a blessed life and eternity with you. In Jesus name, Amen.